Re: Exit hooks not run at logout on w32

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Exit hooks not run at logout on w32
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2006 09:13:50 +0100

Lennart Borgman wrote:
Could the problem that users unsaved data are not saved on w32 in this situation be put in FOR-RELEASE? I think it is a serious bug.
The user has requested a shutdown of the system, without saving their data first. How is it a bug that Emacs respects their wishes?

I have already sent a patch for this, but I have got no response on that. There is possibly disagreement on what to do, but something should be done and I do believe that the correct fix should make Emacs follow the guidelines on w32. Jason said he had read them. I asked for a link to them, but I have not seen it yet. Instead I provided the above snippet.

Here are the guidelines I was referring to:

http://windowssdk.msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms723653.aspx

   Applications that have unsaved data could save the data to a temporary
   location and restore it the next time the application starts, or simply
   respect the user's request to shut down the system even though it will
   cause data loss.

http://windowssdk.msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms723654.aspx

   If your application receives a shutdown notification while it is in the
   middle of an operation that should not be aborted, such as burning media
   or making a backup, it should display a dialog box. Warn the user what
   might happen if the operation is interrupted and enable the user to
   choose whether to cancel or continue the shutdown. If the user would
   like to cancel the shutdown, the application should return FALSE for
   this message.
   Applications should respond to this message as quickly as possible,
   saving time-consuming cleanup operations for the processing of the
   *WM_ENDSESSION* message.