Re: fill-column text.texi

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: fill-column text.texi
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2006 10:38:32 +0000 (UTC)

   AFAIU the var `fill-column' is commonly known as
   line-break.

No, not at all.  When automatic filling is set to a specified value,
the variable `fill-column' is the value *up to which* (and including)
a carriage return or other such line-break may occur.  Often, the
variable `fill-column' is larger than that line's value of its line
break.  At least, that is how I learned the difference years ago.

A line break may occur anywhere, as in this sentence.
(In the previous sentence, the line break occurred at column 53, not
at the value of the variable `fill-column' which is 70 in this
instance of Emacs.)

   Is there a way to refer the var `fill-column'?

Yes.  I use the term `fill-column'; that works for me.  Sometimes, I
have to explain that `automatic filling' refers to the same concept as
`automatic wrapping' in other programs.

--
    Robert J. Chassell
    address@hidden                         GnuPG Key ID: 004B4AC8