RE: facemenu-unlisted-faces

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: facemenu-unlisted-faces
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2006 11:07:40 -0700

        A 20-color "menu" of
        swatches in Outlook (since I'm using email now) takes up
        about 1cm x 4cm.

    The general idea seems good, but isn't that too small?  Each color
    must be approx .2 cm squared.  Isn't it slow to put the mouse on such
    a small space?

No, I see no problem with it. We could of course make it larger, but I see
no need for that. My point was that swatches save space, and they let you
see colors close together, for comparison.

OK, let me measure now (in Outlook)... The entire palette is 1cm x 4.3 cm,
and each swatch is 0.5cm x 0.5cm. Each swatch is a button 0.5cm x 0.5cm, but
the actual swatch (colored) part of the button is only 0.3cm x 0.3 cm - the
rest is padding (button margin).

I checked in MS Word also - the palette is the same (same size swatches),
but there are 40 colors present, not 20, and there is also a "More
Colors..." button for accessing a general color editor (which I suggested as
"Other...").

    If it were larger, the colors' names could appear too.

The point here is *not* to use the names (but to make them available via
tooltip). Displaying names can be useful for faces (vs colors), and it can
be useful for colors if you have a long list - that's why I made the
suggestions about adapting `list-colors-display' and `list-faces-display'.

With only 20 colors, there is really no need for names. Here are the 20
colors I see in Outlook (they are for foreground only). I held the mouse
over each to see its name in a tooltip:

 Black, Gray, Maroon, Olive, Green, Teal, Navy, Purple
 White, Silver, Red, Yellow, Lime, Aqua, Blue, Fuchsia

I would never have guessed those names, BTW. If I had to name them, I would
have said this:

 Black, Dark Gray, Brown, Olive Green, Dark Green, Dark Cyan,
    Dark Blue, Purple
 White, Light Gray, Red, Yellow, Bright Green, Cyan, Blue,
    Magenta (or Pink)

When you want to make some text pink, you just select it, hit the "A"
tool-bar button, and click the pink swatch in the displayed mini-palette.
You don't have to read color names and think about whether pink corresponds
to "Fuchsia" or "Teal".