Semantics of autoload cookies on defcustoms

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Semantics of autoload cookies on defcustoms
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2006 00:01:49 -0400

What is the intended effect of adding an autoload cookie on a defcustom?

I ask this question because I recently noticed that setting variables such
as diary-file via custom causes calendar.el to be loaded at startup, even
tho I can't see any reason why such a setting would justify eagerly loading
calendar.el.

So should such variable not have an autoload cookie, or should autoload.el
be adjusted so that it doesn't add calls to `custom-autoload' for them?

        Stefan "who thinks both should be used, since changing autoload.el
                is the only sane way to fix it once and for all, but who
                also thinks that there should be a very good reason
                (explained in a comment) to justify an autoload cookie on
                a variable."