Re: address@hidden: change to file on disk not noticed by indirect buffe

From: Mathias Dahl
Subject: Re: address@hidden: change to file on disk not noticed by indirect buffer]
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 17:22:31 +0200

The behavior of find-alternate-file is also surely not good, but I am
not sure what it should do instead.  The ideal would be to substitute
the new file in the base buffer and its indirect buffers, without
otherwise altering the differences between them.  But that is probably
quite hard, so it would be better to do something else that's at least
sensible.

Would it be that hard? Just change the base buffer's file as if it was
a buffer without any indirect ones and for the indirect buffers, keep
track of what mode they were in (would saving more information be
useful?) and read the data from the new base buffer into them.

On the other hand, what if I do want to find an alternative file in
the indirect buffer I am currently in? Maybe I am done with this
indirect buffer and don't need it anymore.

Maybe there should be a new command such as the one the Joe suggested
and keep the current functionality as it is?