Re: `decode-coding-string' question

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: `decode-coding-string' question
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 23:18:29 +0300

> From: Paul Pogonyshev <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 18:52:28 +0300
> Cc: Kenichi Handa <address@hidden>
>
> > > I do.  But I need to know where they begin in the buffer (containing
> > > the encoded C string.)  I don't see a way to keep this information at
> > > present... :(
> >
> > How did you make that buffer?  Why don't you have an
> > already-decoded text in that buffer?
>
> Because it's a C source file.  Strings have to be encoded there.

Paul, there's some misunderstanding here, so please bear with us.
Handa-san cannot understand how come you have undecoded characters in
the buffer, and neither can I.

The fact that it's a C file does not matter: Emacs _always_ decodes
characters when it visits the file, no matter if it's a C file or
something else.  In the text you get in your buffer the characters
should be decoded.  The question is, how come it didn't decode these
characters in your case?  Are there other non-ASCII characters in the
same file, perhaps? if so, what characters are those?  For that
matter, can you post a small sample file that, when visited in Emacs,
leaves the UTF-8 encoded characters undecoded in the buffer?  Please
post that file as a binary attachment, to avoid munging it by email
software en- and de-coding.