Re: Russian letters

From: Paul Pogonyshev
Subject: Re: Russian letters
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 00:48:15 +0300

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > From: Paul Pogonyshev <address@hidden>
> > Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 23:27:27 +0300

> > > UTF-8 is always decoded into Unicode character set, while you
> > > originally said that characters read from a file were decoded into
> > > Cyrillic ISO character set.  Which one is true?
> >
> > I explicitly reverted the buffer in UTF-8 (though I know it is):
> >
> >     C-x RET r utf-8 RET yes RET
>
> This gets more and more complicated with each message.
>
> Could you please post a short file (as a binary attachment) and a
> clear recipe how you visit it and how you type Cyrillic characters in
> order to reproduce the problem?

OK, after some testing I came up with a test (I didn't find it earlier
because `customize-variable' is essential, simply setting it doesn't
work):

$ emacs -Q
M-x customize-variable RET utf-fragment-on-decoding RET
[set to t, set for current session]
C-x C-f test.text RET

Now, the characters from the file are decoded into `cyrillic-iso8859-5',
while new, typed characters are in `mule-unicode-0100-24ff'.

> Did I understand correctly that, unlike you first said, the Cyrillic
> ISO characters come from keyboard input, while the mule-unicode
> characters come from a file?

No.  Please try yourself, that way it must be easier to understand ;)

Paul