Re: general-purpose.el - a general-forms-resource-utility

From: Andreas Roehler
Subject: Re: general-purpose.el - a general-forms-resource-utility
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2006 10:50:25 +0200

Thien-Thi Nguyen schrieb:
Andreas Roehler <address@hidden> writes:

Why not think about a way to relate and reflect these different
- already exiting and delivered - definitions?

probably this has already been thought about.  see, for example:

http://www.norvig.com/paip/unify.lisp
http://www.norvig.com/paip/README.html

a related idea is to unify byte-code -- that would be cool.

thi

Thanks a lot! That's real interesting stuff there.

Let me say nonetheless that `unification' might be a
result--and certainly will be in some cases--but not
the primary goal of the project - that's wider, a more
general one.

If we agree that scattered general-purpose-functions
exist, one of the interesting questions is: Why?

What is the situation of the developer while writing
the fourth or fifth string-strip function?

Might be that

- none of the existing are suitable

- he ignores the other one.

Both seems possible, also in combination.

As big as the sources are I doubt that someone will
claim to know everything.

Also the question of suitability is no easy one -
following the discussion around string-strip these days
I don't see a way of automatized unification.

In any case it would help a lot if we could - while
writing - give some keyword, for example `correct user
input' and get a list of possible forms.

(That's the case already with `apropos' somehow, that's
not a new idea as such, so I will also examine
`apropos' in this context.)

__
Andreas Roehler