Re: Revamping sit-for [Was: Lingering input pending with motif menu bar]

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Revamping sit-for [Was: Lingering input pending with motif menu bar]
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2006 01:02:43 +0200

>     Richard has said he wanted to replace sit-for so that only actual
>     Emacs Lisp events will interrupt input.
>
> I would like to do this, but first we need to check whether there are
> any callers that really want the current behavior of sit-for.  It's
> unlikely that any caller does want it, but not impossible, and we
> should check.
>
> Could people please check?

FYI, there are 534 calls to sit-for in *.el files.

It seems hard to try to understand for each of these calls whether
non-Lisp event are _intended_ to interrupt it or not.

BTW, 134 of those calls are (sit-for 0), which most likely are intended
to do a redisplay, so for clarity, they could be replaced by (redisplay).

Maybe some calls to sit-for may actually wait for process output; in which
case they should really be calls to accept-process-output.