Re: facemenu-unlisted-faces

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: facemenu-unlisted-faces
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2006 10:12:54 -0400

    For *any* face that affects only the foreground, we could think of it in
    either way. If the face name corresponds to the foreground appearance (as
    does "bold"), then it really doesn't matter.

That is true.  I do not see where that point leads, though.

    It is far more natural to click Bold a second time to turn off boldness for
    the selection than it is to think of applying the `default' face to it.
    There are only a few styles (Bold etc.) available, and they can be combined.
    Just click a style to toggle it.

I agree, that would be an improvement.

        For "fixed pitch", I think that can only be considered as a face.

    Consider it a style, and treat it like bold, italic, and underline.
    Actually, like bold and italic, it is a font property.

No, it isn't.  That won't work.  We cannot make a fixed-pitch variant
of any given face.

    Even
    when users highlight text (changing its background), they don't think of the
    text (characters) changing color in any way; they think that the background
    has changed color, but they don't consider the background to be a property
    of the text.

That may be true, but how does that relate to the menu structure?
I do not see the connection.

I see no possible benefit in putting the menu of background colors
underneath the menu of foreground colors.