Re: What is normal these days (display.texi)?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: What is normal these days (display.texi)?
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 10:56:06 +0200

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:

> David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> !   This function calls for redisplay of certain windows, the next time
>> ! redisplay is done, but does not clear them first.
>>
>>   @defun force-window-update &optional object
>>   This function forces redisplay of some or all windows.  If
>> --- 55,62 ----
>>   This function clears and redisplays all visible frames.
>>   @end deffn
>>
>> !   The following function redisplays certain windows without clearing
>> ! them first:
>>
>>   @defun force-window-update &optional object
>>   This function forces redisplay of some or all windows.  If
>
> IMO, the original text (calls for) is more correct.
>
> force-window-update does not force an immediate redisplay -- it simply
> marks the window to be updated on the next redisplay (by clearing the
> internal "up-to-date" state of the window).
>
> I will update the doc string and lispref to mention this.

Well, if you take a look at the immediately preceding sentence, you'll
find that this distinction is not made anywhere before:

      The function @code{redraw-frame} clears and redisplays the entire
    contents of a given frame (@pxref{Frames}).  This is useful if the
    screen is corrupted.

    @c Emacs 19 feature
    @defun redraw-frame frame
    This function clears and redisplays frame @var{frame}.
    @end defun

      Even more powerful is @code{redraw-display}:

    @deffn Command redraw-display
    This function clears and redisplays all visible frames.
    @end deffn

All of those functions work by _immediately_ clearing the respective
frame or display, and then marking it for redisplay.

So why change the language in the case that is much less conspicuous
(by not clearing the frame) as it does not cause a large blank window
to show while Emacs is busy?