Re: display-mm-width return value off on Windows

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: display-mm-width return value off on Windows
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 12:45:06 +0200

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:

> So I tried to do fix that (in a way similar to the one proposed for
> display-mm-*) some time ago, but didn't complete it, as it wasn't
> really clear what had to be done.
>
> First of all, it had to be done per-display (at least X supports
> multiple display),
>
> Secondly, it was not clear to me whether this problem was specific
> to X, but I guessed it was not, so changes had to be done for
> all platforms (as it involved added stuff to "display-info".)
>
> Last, but not least, it was unclear what other parts of the code
> would also need changes -- e.g. display-mm-* -- which would have
> to be reworked to not just use some X-macro like WidthMMOfScreen.

Whatever solution is chosen in the end: it is important that the same
algorithm is used for converting point size of fonts into pixel size
and vice versa.

preview-latex needs to guess how many pixels a given font will occupy
on the screen in order to create graphics matching in size.  And the
font sizes are returned in points, namely physical dimensions.