RE: Help cross reference to source file

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Help cross reference to source file
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 11:14:27 -0700

        > +           (switch-to-buffer (current-buffer))

        This burps if the selected window is a minibuffer or
        dedicated window. I think we should mark switch-to-buffer
        as "not for use from elisp" (like insert-buffer and others).

    I disagree that switch-to-buffer shouldn't be used from Lisp
    (unless a similar functionality is made available in another
    function).

Actually, I have a question here. Are these equivalent when pop-up-frames is
non-nil? If not, what's the difference?

1. (switch-to-buffer-other-window foo)
2. (pop-to-buffer foo)

I see some minor differences indicated by the doc strings:
 - NORECORD arg
 - OTHER-WINDOW arg

For pop-to-buffer, it only "preferably" uses a different window, unless
OTHER-WINDOW is non-nil. But I don't notice any major differences. Is one of
these recommended (assuming I have non-nil pop-up-frames) and the other
discouraged?

Thx - Drew