Re: Proposed change to greek-ibycus4 input-method

From: Peter Heslin
Subject: Re: Proposed change to greek-ibycus4 input-method
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 23:18:58 +0100

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> This is in contrast to Αἰ or Ἀϊ which are actually different character
> combinations.

Yes, thank you -- that is exactly what I should have said, for it's the
best argument of all.  In an Ibycus TeX file, Αἰ is written as Ai) but
when you type Ai) using the greek-ibycus4 input-method, what you
currently get is ᾼ᾿ -- which is very wrong.

> I think your idea sounds reasonable.  I just have no clue whether
> the Ibycus rules would actually suggest one or the other.

I think the above example demonstrates that the Ibycus encoding is quite
at odds with the current behavior of the input-method.  The only
question, then, is what to use when one actually does want an iota
subscript with a capital vowel (given that Ibycus itself doesn't support
that).  Using | after the vowel is the obvious suggestion.

> For convenient typing in Emacs, your suggestion is likely the best and
> most intuitive way, anyhow.  But if we want to convert "input just
> like a quail method" into Unicode, like recently discussed on this
> list, it might start making a difference.

In fact, my awareness of this problem arose out of writing and using the
conversion code you are referring to.  This change will not affect the
translation of existing Ibycus text, except to fix the class of bug
described above.

--
Peter Heslin (http://www.dur.ac.uk/p.j.heslin)