Re: display-mm-width return value off on Windows

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: display-mm-width return value off on Windows
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 15:07:11 +0200

Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:

> * Eli Zaretskii (2006-07-09) writes:
>
>>> As a last resort we could provide user options (in Emacs) for setting
>>> the correct size of the screen which will be used as return values for
>>> `display-mm-{width,height}'.
>>
>> Sounds like a good plan to me.
>
> Here are change log entries and patches to achieve that:
>
> 2006-07-11  Ralf Angeli  <address@hidden>
>
>       * frame.el (display-mm-height): New variable.
>       (display-mm-height): Use it.
>       (display-mm-width): New variable.
>       (display-mm-width): Use it.

This change makes things worse if you have multiple displays.

As I said previously, a change would have to be able to
specify values "per-display", e.g. using an alist with
elements (display . (width height))

But it still doesn't fix other problems related to the
OS providing incorrect size/resolution values for a display
(that requires changes on C level too).

> 2006-07-11  Ralf Angeli  <address@hidden>
>
>       * w32fns.c (Fx_display_mm_height, Fx_display_mm_width): Calculate
>       size of display by means of size in pixels and number of pixels
>       per inch.

This change may be good by itself -- install it if nobody objects in a
few days.