address@hidden: don't assume ELF binaries are multicultural text]

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: address@hidden: don't assume ELF binaries are multicultural text]
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 15:22:19 -0400

Would someone like to try doing this?  Please ack.

To: address@hidden
From: Dan Jacobson <address@hidden>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 04:36:14 +0800

$ emacs /bin/sh

Got an idea, why not say "Uh, Holmes, /bin/sh is a ELF 32-bit LSB
executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), for GNU/Linux 2.2.0,
dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.2.0, stripped,
shall we w: wrongly assume it is multicultural text, thus bloating
emacs for the remainder of the session, h: invoke some hex editing
mode, q: back out of your certainly mistaken attempt to open the wrong
file, f: forever allow me to blunder ahead as multicultural text next
time..."