Re: 100% CPU on TCP servers (on Windoze).

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: 100% CPU on TCP servers (on Windoze).
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 11:54:10 +0200

Jason Rumney <address@hidden> writes:

> Kim F. Storm wrote:
>> I don't quite understand the pfn_ stuff in w32.c -- maybe the
>> WSAEventSelect function need to be loaded in the same way to be
>> available.  Someone who knows this stuff, please DTRT.
>>
> The dynamic loading of network functions is obsolete. The original
> idea was to support versions of Windows that do not contain the
> Winsock library by default. Since NT 3.51, it has been included by
> default (prior to that it was an optional component), and since at
> least Emacs 20 we gave up trying to support such old versions of
> Windows NT, since Windows NT was not widely used until 4.0, and any NT
> 3.1 or 3.5 installations have probably been replaced by now.
>
> So this can probably be cleaned up by using those functions normally.

I found a Windoze system where I could build emacs, and it didn't
like properly becuase WSAEventSelect could not be found by the linker.

Then I tried to load it dynamically like the other pfn_ stuff,
and with that change it linked and seemed to run perfectly
as I thought it would.

So I have installed the changes, and now server sockets seem
to behave just fine.

Now, maybe someone would like to make emacsclient and server.el
work on Windoze.