Re: Info tutorial is out of date

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Info tutorial is out of date
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 22:28:47 +0200

Jay Belanger wrote:
Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> writes:

Jay Belanger wrote:
Save the teaching of why it's better to learn to use the keyboard
for later.

When it will be too late for many.  If indeed it is better to use the
keyboard (and I think it is), it seems a bad idea to begin by teaching
bad habits, however easy these habits may be.

I too think that the keyboard is better, but in my mind is right now a
song with an awful text:

"If you want to teach them they can't learn then make sure they have to
learn a lot of details at once."

I am sure someone has some better text for this! ;-)

Is that an actual song?  I like it.  What is the name of it?  I'm sure
most people agree with the sentiment, too.
Unfortunately it is not a real song ;-)

But what little at a time is being taught, should be taught correctly. If the consensus is that using the mouse is the right way, fine; but I
disagree with the idea of letting bad habits form and overcoming them
later.
Yes, but the thing is that if they can use their old habits for a while they can learn much, much faster.