Re: Info tutorial is out of date

From: Mathias Dahl
Subject: Re: Info tutorial is out of date
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 00:28:20 +0200

~zero about the ideas in my post for improving the
tutorial. IOW, their own anti-mouse button got pushed somehow, and any real
debate on the ideas I raised was drowned.

I agree. Most answers has been about technicalities and not the main
issue, to get new users to learn how to use Emacs. I have been
evangelizing for six years now and let me tell you, it's not easy. *I*
know that it is worth getting over the hurdle that many people hit
when they first try Emacs. I actually don't remember what kept *me*,
an old Windoze user, hanging in there. probably it was a combination
of GNU-philosophy and the overall "strangness" of Emacs (I tend to
want to try "strange" things or things other don't like). And of
course keyboard macros from heaven! :)

At work I am trying to see if I can lure the less technical of our
staff, the Technial Writers (sounds techy, but it is not), to use
Emacs. My plan is to push hard for things like abbrevs, skeletons and
other "auto typing" facilities.