Re: Info tutorial is out of date

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Info tutorial is out of date
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 22:54:47 -0500 (CDT)

Stefan Monnier wrote:

   I think the best option to satisfy both camps is to end the tutorial with
   a section about "how to use Emacs more efficiently" where we describe key
   bindings for those operations that can easily be accomplished with arrow
   keys, mice, menu-bars, scroll-bars, you name it.

I believe that there is some confusion here.  I have not followed this
thread in detail, but it seems to be obviously about the Info manual,
not about the Emacs manual.  The Info manual tries to teach the user
how to use the Info system, not how to use Emacs.  Unless there has
been a policy change, Info is meant to replace the man pages in the
GNU system.  That is, people would do `info find' instead of
`man find' from a command line.  This brings up the standalone Info
reader and should be usable by GNU users who use, say, vim as their
editor and do not even know how to use Emacs.

`h' brings up the Info manual not just in Emacs Info, but also in the
standalone Info reader.  Of course, it must tell people how to use the
standalone Info reader, because for some GNU users this is the only
one they are going to use and even for Emacs users, it sometimes will
be more convenient to use the standalone version when they are in an xterm.

Of course, Emacs users must also be able to learn how to use Emacs
Info.  Emacs Info is too close to the standalone Info to justify two
separate manuals, especially since many people may want to learn how
to use both readers and we should not force them to read two manuals
most of whose contents just duplicate each other.

The Info reader has no menu bar and no Emacs style header line.
Scroll bars and mice do not seem to work with it.

Sincerely,

Luc.