Re: Info tutorial is out of date

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Info tutorial is out of date
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 10:44:18 +0100

Morning, Richard!

On Sun, Jul 16, 2006 at 09:40:57PM -0400, Richard Stallman wrote:
>     Well, there are about 100 people on the Emacs project list, and 3
>     have taken exception to your m[o]usings.  Even assuming the other
>     ~97, none of whom has yet voiced an opinion on the matter, are
>     confirmed habitual mousers, that leaves 3% of users as mouse
>     haters.

> I am a mouse-disliker, but I am also an experienced Emacs user and I
> don't need to use the tutorial to learn how.

> I am sure there are other experienced Emacs users that dislike the
> mouse, but the question is about beginners.  Isn't it clear that nearly
> all beginners use the mouse?

Yes, but surely not all.  Might it still be that in poorer countries
there are newbies with PCs of insufficient power to support X?  There are
surely disabled people who cannot use a mouse without severe difficulty.
As well as lots of people who don't like using mice (at least 4 of whom
contribute to Emacs ;-)  [Could it perhaps be that Emacs is a magnet for
mouse-dislikers?]

I think it would be bad in an Emacs tutorial to create an impression that
a mouse was needed.  Separating out the description of `n' and `p' to an
appendix might well do this.

--
Alan.