RE: Info tutorial is out of date

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Info tutorial is out of date
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 09:37:57 -0700

    Emacs Info is too close to the standalone Info to justify two
    separate manuals

Today. But that closeness is artificial. There is no reason for a newbie
Emacs user to go through extra hoops (e.g. node `Help-Inv' and starting with
lessons on `n', `p' etc.) just for our packaging considerations. It's about
user convenience, not our own convenience.

I see no reason why we can't have two versions of the tutorial. Those two
versions could of course use single-sourcing; that is, the same source code
could be used to generate both. In documentation, that is done all the time,
and that is already the kind of thing we do when we create Info and Tex
versions of a manual from the same source code.