RE: Info tutorial is out of date

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Info tutorial is out of date
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 10:11:27 -0700

    > They're already used to it - there are no more virgin users.

    They're not used to using the mouse with Emacs.

What we're talking about here is menu access and clicking links and buttons.
There is nothing Emacs-specific with how user users do those things in
Emacs - nothing new. I think you're grasping at straws, here.

    > I'm not suggesting we teach them *any* way to perform simple
    > navigation (equivalent of `n' and `p'). On the contrary, my
    > point was that we *need not* teach that. There is an obvious,
    > simple way to navigate: click a link or navigation button.

    Falling back on that is effectively teaching them that's the way to do
    it, or at least allowing them to teach themselves thats how to do it.

Not at all. At most, it could be said to *not* teach them to change their
nasty ways. But it does not teach them *anything* new about the
mouse/keyboard.

    > I'm not worried about the risk that users will never learn to use `n'
    > instead of clicking the `Next' button. You are, apparently.

    Yes; but on my list of worries, this is fairly minor.

Good. So we can take care of that minor risk later in the tutorial; it is
secondary.

    > Info is a browser for finding and reading manuals. The argument for
    > keyboard shortcuts is vastly overstated when it comes to browsing
    > (vs editing).

    I would guess that someone using a mouse (or keyboard) for one part of
    Emacs would use it throughout.

The question is, "Where is the right place to crusade for the keyboard?"
That lesson is a distraction from teaching Info.