Re: Info tutorial is out of date

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Info tutorial is out of date
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 22:06:22 +0300

> From: "Drew Adams" <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 09:54:09 -0700
>
>     > Of course, it must tell people how to use the standalone Info reader
>
>     Only the bare basics, because the more advanced features of the
>     stand-alone Info reader are documented in a separate manual, which
>     describes the stand-alone reader, and it alone.
>
> If there is a separate standalone-reader manual, then stuff that is specific
> to the standalone reader should go in that manual.

See my other mail for the reasons why this would be not a good idea.
Isn't the fact that you didn't even know about that other manual's
existence tells volumes of why we shouldn't leave out stuff related to
its basics from the beginners' Info manual?

>     > Emacs Info is too close to the standalone Info to justify two
>     > separate manuals, especially since many people may want to learn how
>     > to use both readers and we should not force them to read two manuals
>     > most of whose contents just duplicate each other.
>
>     100% agreement.
>
> But you just acknowledged that there are already two manuals.

Please at least read the other manual before you argue about the
duplication issue.  They are two different manuals--different in
style, in preferences, and in target audience.

>     Would someone who thinks they know how to make the Info manual less
>     ``out of date'' please submit their proposed changes, so we could make
>     this discussion more practical?
>
> I personally cannot contribute patches (they would not be accepted, because
> I cannot get papers from my employer).

Well, then someone else should, or else this discussion is a waste of
time.

> In any case, starting with patches would be premature. Let us agree
> on what to present and how, before getting into the exact text.

In my experience, people can argue forever about theoretical issues,
then quickly come to an agreement once a practical suggestion is put
on the table.