RE: Info tutorial is out of date

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Info tutorial is out of date
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 16:01:16 -0700

    The question is whether teaching Info properly involves teaching the
    keyboard or not.

Not so black and white, please. It's whether it involves teaching the
keyboard *for structural navigation* *first*, *when* that structural
navigation can be accomplished in another, obvious way (e.g. click a link).

I've already said it makes sense to teach some keys up front (e.g. SPC,
DEL), because there is no alternative.

And I've already said it's OK to teach even the structural navigation keys,
after the important stuff has already been covered.

You want the question to be mouse vs keyboard, pure & simple. I want it to
be important functionalities first, performance enhancements second. I don't
care about mice or keyboards, one way or the other (except that I am, like
you are, in favor of recommending keys for efficiency).

Some keyboard keys are necessary to use Info, and some are unnecessary, even
if useful for efficiency. The necessary keys should be taught up front; the
unnecessary keys can be taught afterward.

No one has ever argued that no Info keys should be taught. Please stop
misrepresenting what I've said.