Re: Activate an input-method from file-local variables?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Activate an input-method from file-local variables?
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 20:12:53 -0400

     > On the contrary, users can make file-local variable bindings for most of
     > the variables described in the Emacs Manual without knowing how to
     > program. They only need to know Lisp syntax for the values they use.

    That is, they need to have an awareness of programming Lisp.

That statement is misleading because it would imply a level of
knowledge far beyond what these people really need to know.  All they
need to know is how to write the values they want to use.

    As I wrote, calling them ?local variables? does not say to me that they are
    buffer-local, because there exist at least three distinct types of local
    variables in the editor--four if you conceive of lexical-let as different
    from let.

That is a valid point.  However,

    It?s only the phrase ?it automatically makes these variables local to the
    buffer? (and two more like it, later in the same section) that makes the
    buffer-local aspect evident.

since that phrase is just two lines later, I think the point is clear
enough now.