RE: Info tutorial is out of date

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Info tutorial is out of date
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 15:19:06 -0700

    >     >     > I see no reason why we can't have two versions of
    >     >     > the tutorial.
    >     >
    >     >     One reason is that it's not easy to present the right one
    >     >     to the user based on her reader.  Remember:
    >     >     learning Info is a bootstrap-kind of problem--you
    >     >     learn to use a tool by using
    >     >     that same tool. If we don't
    >     >     make the beginning of the bootstrap 110% reliable
    >     >     (which includes
    >     >     showing the right manual), the results will be catastrophic.
    >     >
    >     > So, how do you deal with that problem currently, since there
    >     > are apparently already two manuals?
    >
    >     By having the Info manual be the first item in the top-level menu.
    >
    > And? That sounds OK to me.

    It's okay as long as we have only one such manual.  You suggested that
    the basics be divided between two.

Put them both first (the first two in dir). Put the `n' and `p' stuff first
in either one or both, for the standalone Info manuals. I don't see why that
can't be done. Does the order within a manual need to be the same in the
Emacs version and the standalone version?

Besides, you seem to be talking about Info *manuals*. My proposal was only
about the Info tutorial. I said (above) "two versions of the tutorial"
(Emacs and standalone Info), and you went off about the order between two
Info manuals in dir (I guess?). I'm afraid you lost me on this.