Re: Building Emacs overflowed pure space

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Building Emacs overflowed pure space
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 19:06:04 -0500 (CDT)

Ching Yidong wrote:

   Incidentally, why do we still have separate `dotimes' and `dolist'
   functions in cl-macs.el?  Would we ever lose anything by using the
   subr.el version?

I believe that it is to make the bodies of dotimes and dolist like a
`tagbody' and to surround dotimes and dolist with an implicit block
called `nil' to allow the CL function `return' to be used.  So one
would loose something by eliminating the cl version and using the subr
version.  It would break all code that loads cl and then uses tags or
`return' inside a dolist or dotimes.

See http://www.lisp.org/HyperSpec/Body/mac_dolist.html

Sincerely,

Luc.