Re: facemenu-unlisted-faces

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: facemenu-unlisted-faces
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 13:37:24 +0900

"Drew Adams" <address@hidden> writes:
> IOW, you can substitute a different fixed-pitch font family for
> Courier, but that's the only way you're supposed to change the
> definition of `fixed-pitch'. It's intended to be a very constant face,
> but there is a tiny exception.

That's not good enough.  It's pretty common that you also want to change
other attributes -- for instance, the height might need tweaking to make
the particular family you chose mesh well with other faces (this is a
very common occurance).  Similarly, the user might wish to force the face
to bold because the font in question is too light compared to the other
fonts they use.

Frankly I don't know why you seem intent on pushing this point; there
seems little to be gained with a "define-constant-face", even if it
allowed fine-grained specifications of "constantness".  If a user wants
to change something that's not normally changed, well ... so what?  He
probably has his reasons.  Some people despise bold fonts, and would
rather change the `bold' face to use italic.  Why not let them?  Emacs
won't crash.

-Miles

--
"Though they may have different meanings, the cries of 'Yeeeee-haw!' and
 'Allahu akbar!' are, in spirit, not actually all that different."