Re: jit lock sit-for provokes redisplay provokes imenu

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: jit lock sit-for provokes redisplay provokes imenu
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 18:41:33 -0400

        It could be a function buffer-chars-modified-tick,
        which records the value of buffer-modified-tick as of the last
        change in the characters in the buffer.

    I don't really mean to meddle here, but we talked about distinguishing text
    changes from things like text-properties changes, for purposes of undo and
    indicating buffer modification in the mode line - after the release.

This change, with the design I proposed, is so simple that it can't
break anything.  It would enable us to get rid of a gross
inefficiency, which is a kind of bug.  So I think we should do it now.

Would someone like to implement it?