Re: Info tutorial is out of date

From: Slawomir Nowaczyk
Subject: Re: Info tutorial is out of date
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 03:11:25 +0200

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 08:10:07 +0900
Miles Bader <address@hidden> wrote:

#> Nonetheless, the info browser's far more efficient browsing is a
#> _huge_ advantage over a typical "html in a browser" solution (I use
#> lots of html docs, and am always amazed by how clunky and awkward
#> everything is). Any but the simplest queries can be a nightmare in
#> an html doc tree simply because it's so slow and awkward to move
#> around.
#>
#> The other big benefits of info IMHO are more "global" functionality
#> (cross-node i-search is my number-one method of finding stuff these
#> days), and of course much better integration with the editor.

I know that. You know that. Most people on this list know that.

But as Drew said many times, we are not the target audience for Info
tutorial. Those who are/should be reading the tutorial *do not* know
what is so great about the Info system. We should _start_ the tutorial
by explaining it to them, if we want them to continue reading.

Starting by saying "to move forward do X and to go back do Y" is
suboptimal (it might be OK to have a sentence or two about that, but
devoting the first two nodes to this is an overkill). People today are
accustomed that those basic things 'just work'.

--
 Best wishes,
   Slawomir Nowaczyk

I dream of being Bugs Bunny, but when I wake up,
I'm Daffy Duck or Wile E. Coyote.