Re: Using quail input methods to translate buffer text.

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: Using quail input methods to translate buffer text.
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 13:16:59 +0900

In article <address@hidden>, Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> Kenichi Handa <address@hidden> writes:
>> I think it's not worth working on quail-conv to make it work
>> correctly for all cases.  How about just make it work well
>> for simple input methods (i.e. ones that (quail-simple)
>> return t) and reject complicated input methods.

> That doesn't seem right -- (quail-simple) returns nil for Japanese, but
> still, just the roman letters -> hiragana functionality of Peter's
> function seems useful.

Even for japanese, it can't do correct converions of "kanji"
or "ippai" (I've not yet read quail-conv.el in detail why it
doesn't work for them).

> I'd say don't "reject" anything, simply put a note in the docstring that
> the behavior is not necessarily useful for more complicated interactive
> input methods.

Ummm, that may be ok.  But, if quail-conv gives up handling
of complicated one, I think the code can be far simpler
(like the original version).

---
Kenichi Handa
address@hidden