Re: comment-start redefined in cc-langs.el

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: comment-start redefined in cc-langs.el
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 18:05:54 +0200

Good Morning, Martin!

On Sat, Apr 29, 2006 at 04:41:55PM +0200, martin rudalics wrote:

With emacs -Q do

C-h v comment-start RET

gets me

comment-start is a variable defined in `newcomment.el'

Now load cc-mode in a new buffer, return to scratch, and do again

C-h v comment-start RET

gets me

comment-start is a variable defined in `cc-engine.el'

OK, here is a patch.

Basically, the declarations like (c-lang-defvar comment-start ....) (in
cc-langs.el ~L1131) were causing forms (defvar comment-start ...) to get
generated in cc-engine.el (via the macro c-declare-lang-variables).

I have added the macro c-lang-setvar which does all the fancy stuff that
c-lang-defvar does, only without generating the defvar.

Please let me know if there are any problems with this patch.

Good evening, Alan!

I'm afraid the patch doesn't change a thing in the behavior of my Emacs.
Would I have to do anything else but patch&recompile these two files?

Anyway, if I look at `load-history', the definitions from cc-engine.elc
still precede textually those from newcomment.elc, doesn't that come from
(c-lang-defconst comment-start ... ?

martin