RE: Q on shell-mode-map

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Q on shell-mode-map
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 11:15:18 -0700

    I have a question on shell-mode-map. Maybe I'm reading the code
    in shell.el wrong, and I'm also not real clear on how keymaps
    work with define-derived-mode.

    What I'd like to do is bind a key in comint-mode-map, and have
    it also bound in, say shell-mode-map (and the other modes
    derived from comint-mode), that is, for subsequent uses of shell-mode.

    It looks like shell-mode-map is defined at load time, however,
    based on comint-mode-map, so it wouldn't pick up my later
    addition of a key binding to comint-mode-map. Am I missing
    something here?

    Could someone please explain this to me, and let me know the
    right way to do what I want to do? Thx. Sending to emacs-devel
    instead of help-gnu-emacs, in the off chance that shell.el
    should be changed to pick up the comint-mode-map when
    shell-mode is run.

Well, I see now that the nconc should make it so that shell-mode-map shares
a tail with comint-mode-map, so I guess it should work OK. However, it
doesn't seem to. Guess I'll have to test my code some more...