Re: glossary.texi

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: glossary.texi
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 12:16:47 +0200

>       @item File Name
>       A file name is a name that refers to a file.  File names may be relative
>     ! or absolute: The meaning of a relative file name depends on the default
>     ! directory (q.v.@:).  An absolute file name refers to the same file
>     ! regardless of the current buffer's default directory.  On GNU and Unix
>     ! systems, an absolute file name starts with a slash (the root directory)
>     ! or with @samp{~/} or @address@hidden/} (a home directory).  On
>     ! MS-Windows/MS-DOS, an absolute file name can also start with a drive
>     ! letter and a colon like @address@hidden:}.
>
>     ! Some people use the term ``pathname'' for file names, but we do not; we
>     ! use the word ``path'' only in the term `search path' (q.v.@:).
>
> I like the old text better, so please do not make this change.

I wanted to substitute "current directory" by "current buffer's default
directory" because the latter can be explained in terms of the glossary.
The former is a bit vague and its occasional use in the Emacs and Elisp
manual is not always clear.  If the former were declared a synonym for
the latter, I wouldn't have seen any problems with the old text.

>       @item Whitespace
>     ! Whitespace is any run of consecutive characters like space, tab,
>     ! newline, and formfeed, that separate symbols and words from each other.
>     ! @xref{Syntax}.
>
> That is not as correct as the old text, so please keep the old text
> for this.

I have taken that verbatim from the definition of "whitespace character"
in the Elisp manual, is that incorrect?

What about my earlier proposals to remove

> ... the entries for "Buffer Selection History",
> "File-Name Component", and "Keyboard Translation Table" since these
> terms are used exclusively in the glossary.

shorten

> ... the texts for "border" (leave in the first sentence and the reference to
> Borders X), "string" (replace the entire section wrt Lisp syntax by a
> reference to the section in the Elisp manual), and either "File Name" or
> "Default Directory" (since they contain similar text).

and to add entries for

> ... "Script", "Quail", "LEIM", "Header Line", "CUA".

*** glossary.texi       Tue Apr 11 16:24:14 2006
--- glossary.texi       Sun Jul 23 10:43:36 2006
***************
*** 7,36 ****

  @table @asis
  @item Abbrev
! An abbrev is a text string which expands into a different text string
! when present in the buffer.  For example, you might define a few letters
! as an abbrev for a long phrase that you want to insert frequently.
  @xref{Abbrevs}.

  @item Aborting
! Aborting means getting out of a recursive edit (q.v.@:).  The
! commands @kbd{C-]} and @kbd{M-x top-level} are used for this.
  @xref{Quitting}.

  @item Alt
  Alt is the name of a modifier bit which a keyboard input character may
  have.  To make a character Alt, type it while holding down the @key{ALT}
  key.  Such characters are given names that start with @kbd{Alt-}
! (usually written @kbd{A-} for short).  (Note that many terminals have a
! key labeled @key{ALT} which is really a @key{META} key.)  @xref{User
! Input, Alt}.

  @item Argument
  See `numeric argument.'

  @item @acronym{ASCII} character
! An @acronym{ASCII} character is either an @acronym{ASCII} control character
or an @acronym{ASCII}
! printing character.  @xref{User Input}.

  @item @acronym{ASCII} control character
  An @acronym{ASCII} control character is the Control version of an upper-case
--- 7,38 ----

  @table @asis
  @item Abbrev
! An abbrev is a word (q.v.@:) which expands into some predefined text
! when you type a non-word character after it.  For example, you might
! define an abbrev for a long phrase that you want to insert frequently.

! @kbd{C-]} and @kbd{M-x top-level} are used for this purpose.

! (usually written @kbd{A-} for short).  @xref{User Input, Alt}.
!

! character (q.v.@:) or an @acronym{ASCII} printing character (q.v.@:).
! @xref{User Input}.

  @item @acronym{ASCII} control character
  An @acronym{ASCII} control character is the Control version of an upper-case
***************
*** 41,47 ****
  punctuation characters: @samp{!@@#$%^& *()_-+=|\~` @address@hidden:;"'
<>,.?/}.

  @item Auto Fill Mode
! Auto Fill mode is a minor mode in which text that you insert is
  automatically broken into lines of a given maximum width.
  @xref{Filling}.

--- 43,49 ----

! Auto Fill mode is a minor mode (q.v.@:) in which text that you type is
  automatically broken into lines of a given maximum width.
  @xref{Filling}.

***************
*** 53,71 ****
  @item Autoloading
  Emacs automatically loads Lisp libraries when a Lisp program requests a
  function or a variable from those libraries.  This is called
! `autoloading'.  @xref{Lisp Libraries}.

  @item Backtrace
  A backtrace is a trace of a series of function calls showing how a
! program arrived to a certain point.  It is used mainly for finding and
! correcting bugs (q.v.@:).  Emacs can display a backtrace when it signals
! an error or when you type @kbd{C-g} (see `quitting').  @xref{Checklist}.

  @item Backup File
  A backup file records the contents that a file had before the current
  editing session.  Emacs makes backup files automatically to help you
  track down or cancel changes you later regret making.  @xref{Backup}.

  @item Balancing Parentheses
  Emacs can balance parentheses (or other matching delimiters) either
  manually or automatically.  You do manual balancing with the commands
--- 55,79 ----
  @item Autoloading
  Emacs automatically loads Lisp libraries when a Lisp program requests a
  function or a variable from those libraries.  This is called
! `autoloading.'  @xref{Lisp Libraries}.

  @item Backtrace
  A backtrace is a trace of a series of function calls showing how a
! program arrived at a certain point.  Backtraces are used mainly for
! finding and correcting bugs (q.v.@:).  Emacs can display a backtrace
! when it signals an error (q.v.@:) or when you type @kbd{C-g} (see
! `quitting').  @xref{Checklist}.

  @item Backup File
  A backup file records the contents that a file had before the current
  editing session.  Emacs makes backup files automatically to help you
  track down or cancel changes you later regret making.  @xref{Backup}.

+ @item Balanced Expressions
+ A balanced expression is a syntactically recognizable expression, such
+ as a symbol, number, string, block, or an expression enclosed in
+ matching parentheses.  @xref{Expressions,Balanced Expressions}.
+
  @item Balancing Parentheses
  Emacs can balance parentheses (or other matching delimiters) either
  manually or automatically.  You do manual balancing with the commands
***************
*** 74,90 ****
  that matches the one you just inserted (@pxref{Matching,,Matching
  Parens}).

- @item Balanced Expressions
- A balanced expression is a syntactically recognizable expression, such
- as a symbol, number, string constant, block, or parenthesized expression
- in C.  @xref{Expressions,Balanced Expressions}.
-
  @item Balloon Help
  See `tooltips.'

  @item Base Buffer
! A base buffer is a buffer whose text is shared by an indirect buffer
! (q.v.@:).

  @item Bind
  To bind a key sequence means to give it a binding (q.v.@:).
--- 82,93 ----

! A base buffer is a buffer (q.v.@:) whose text is shared by an indirect
! buffer (q.v.@:).

  @item Bind
  To bind a key sequence means to give it a binding (q.v.@:).
***************
*** 92,126 ****

  @item Binding
  A key sequence gets its meaning in Emacs by having a binding, which is a
! command (q.v.@:), a Lisp function that is run when the user types that
! sequence.  @xref{Commands,Binding}.  Customization often involves
! rebinding a character to a different command function.  The bindings of
! all key sequences are recorded in the keymaps (q.v.@:).  @xref{Keymaps}.

  @item Blank Lines
! Blank lines are lines that contain only whitespace.  Emacs has several
! commands for operating on the blank lines in the buffer.

  @item Bookmark
  Bookmarks are akin to registers (q.v.@:) in that they record positions
  in buffers to which you can return later.  Unlike registers, bookmarks
! persist between Emacs sessions.

  @item Border
! A border is a thin space along the edge of the frame, used just for
! spacing, not for displaying anything.  An Emacs frame has an ordinary
! external border, outside of everything including the menu bar, plus an
! internal border that surrounds the text windows and their scroll bars
! and separates them from the menu bar and tool bar.  You can customize
! both borders with options and resources (@pxref{Borders X}).  Borders
! are not the same as fringes (q.v.@:).

  @item Buffer
! The buffer is the basic editing unit; one buffer corresponds to one text
! being edited.  You can have several buffers, but at any time you are
! editing only one, the `current buffer,' though several can be visible
! when you are using multiple windows (q.v.@:).  Most buffers are visiting
! (q.v.@:) some file.  @xref{Buffers}.

  @item Buffer Selection History
  Emacs keeps a buffer selection history which records how recently each
--- 95,131 ----

  @item Binding
  A key sequence gets its meaning in Emacs by having a binding, which is a
! command (q.v.@:) that is run when the user types that sequence.
! @xref{Commands,Binding}.  Customization often involves rebinding a
! character to a different command.  The bindings of all meaningful key
! sequences are recorded in the keymaps (q.v.@:).  @xref{Keymaps}.

  @item Blank Lines
! Blank lines are lines that contain only whitespace (q.v.@:).  Emacs has
! several commands for operating on the blank lines of a buffer.
! @xref{Blank Lines}.

! persist between Emacs sessions.  @xref{Bookmarks}.

  @item Border
! A border is a thin space along the edge of a frame (q.v.@:), used just
! for spacing, not for displaying anything.  An Emacs frame has an
! ordinary external border, outside of everything including the menu bar,
! plus an internal border that surrounds the text windows and their scroll
! bars and separates them from the menu bar and tool bar.  You can
! customize both borders with options and resources (@pxref{Borders X}).
! Borders are not the same as fringes (q.v.@:).

  @item Buffer
! The buffer is the basic editing unit of Emacs; one buffer corresponds to
! one text being edited.  Any number of buffers can coexist in the same
! editing session and, when using multiple windows (q.v.@:), several of
! them can be visible simultaneously.  However, at any time you are
! editing only one buffer, the `current buffer' (q.v.@:).  Most buffers
! are visiting (q.v.@:) some file.  @xref{Buffers}.

  @item Buffer Selection History
  Emacs keeps a buffer selection history which records how recently each
***************
*** 135,141 ****

  @item Button Down Event
  A button down event is the kind of input event generated right away when
! you press down on a mouse button.  @xref{Mouse Buttons}.

  @item By Default
  See `default.'
--- 140,146 ----

  @item Button Down Event
  A button down event is the kind of input event generated right away when
! you press down a mouse button.  @xref{Mouse Buttons}.

  @item By Default
  See `default.'
***************
*** 180,203 ****
  @xref{Clipboard}.

  @item Coding System
! A coding system is an encoding for representing text characters in a
  file or in a stream of information.  Emacs has the ability to convert
  text to or from a variety of coding systems when reading or writing it.
  @xref{Coding Systems}.

  @item Command
! A command is a Lisp function specially defined to be able to serve as a
! key binding in Emacs.  When you type a key sequence (q.v.@:), its
! binding (q.v.@:) is looked up in the relevant keymaps (q.v.@:) to find
! the command to run.  @xref{Commands}.

  @item Command History
  See `minibuffer history.'

  @item Command Name
! A command name is the name of a Lisp symbol which is a command
! (@pxref{Commands}).  You can invoke any command by its name using
! @kbd{M-x} (@pxref{M-x,M-x,Running Commands by Name}).

  @item Comment
  A comment is text in a program which is intended only for humans reading
--- 185,208 ----
  @xref{Clipboard}.

  @item Coding System
! A coding system is a set of rules for representing text characters in a

! A command is a Lisp function (q.v.@:) specially defined to be able to

! A command name is the name of a Lisp symbol (q.v.@:) that denotes a
! command (@pxref{Commands}).  You can invoke any command by its name
! using @kbd{M-x} (@pxref{M-x,M-x,Running Commands by Name}).

  @item Comment
  A comment is text in a program which is intended only for humans reading
***************
*** 213,221 ****
  @item Compilation
  Compilation is the process of creating an executable program from source
  code.  Emacs has commands for compiling files of Emacs Lisp code
! (@pxref{Byte Compilation,,, elisp, the Emacs Lisp
! Reference Manual}) and programs in C and other languages
! (@pxref{Compilation}).

  @item Complete Key
  A complete key is a key sequence which fully specifies one action to be
--- 218,225 ----
! programs written in C or other languages (@pxref{Compilation}).

  @item Complete Key
  A complete key is a key sequence which fully specifies one action to be
***************
*** 229,244 ****
  @item Completion
  Completion is what Emacs does when it automatically fills out an
  abbreviation for a name into the entire name.  Completion is done for
! minibuffer (q.v.@:) arguments when the set of possible valid inputs
! is known; for example, on command names, buffer names, and
! file names.  Completion occurs when @key{TAB}, @key{SPC} or @key{RET}
! is typed.  @address@hidden

  @item Continuation Line
! When a line of text is longer than the width of the window, it
! takes up more than one screen line when displayed.  We say that the
! text line is continued, and all screen lines used for it after the
! first are called continuation lines.  @xref{Continuation Lines}.
  A related Emacs feature is `filling' (q.v.@:).

  @item Control Character
--- 233,248 ----
  @item Completion
  Completion is what Emacs does when it automatically fills out an
  abbreviation for a name into the entire name.  Completion is done for
! minibuffer (q.v.@:) arguments when the set of possible valid inputs is
! known; for example, on command names, buffer names, and file names.
! Completion usually occurs when @key{TAB}, @key{SPC} or @key{RET} is
! typed.  @xref{Completion}.

  @item Continuation Line
! When a line of text is longer than the width of the window, it may take
! up more than one screen line when displayed.  In this case, we say that
! the text line is continued, and all screen lines but the first used for
! displaying it are called continuation lines.  @xref{Continuation Lines}.
  A related Emacs feature is `filling' (q.v.@:).

  @item Control Character
***************
*** 260,271 ****

  @item @key{CTRL}
  The @key{CTRL} or ``control'' key is what you hold down
! in order to enter a control character (q.v.).

  @item Current Buffer
! The current buffer in Emacs is the Emacs buffer on which most editing
! commands operate.  You can select any Emacs buffer as the current one.
! @xref{Buffers}.

  @item Current Line
  The current line is the line that point is on (@pxref{Point}).
--- 264,274 ----

! The current buffer is the buffer (q.v.@:) on which most editing commands
! operate.  You can select any buffer as the current one.  @xref{Buffers}.

  @item Current Line
  The current line is the line that point is on (@pxref{Point}).
***************
*** 282,291 ****

  @item Cursor
  The cursor is the rectangle on the screen which indicates the position
! called point (q.v.@:) at which insertion and deletion takes place.
! The cursor is on or under the character that follows point.  Often
! people speak of `the cursor' when, strictly speaking, they mean
! `point.'  @xref{Point,Cursor}.

  @item Customization
  Customization is making minor changes in the way Emacs works.  It is
--- 285,294 ----

! called point (q.v.@:) where insertion and deletion takes place.  The
! cursor is on or under the character that follows point.  Often people
! speak of `the cursor' when, strictly speaking, they mean `point.'
! @xref{Point,Cursor}.

  @item Customization
  Customization is making minor changes in the way Emacs works.  It is
***************
*** 308,328 ****
  you do not specify a value to use.

  @item Default Directory
! When you specify a file name that does not start with @samp{/} or @samp{~},
! it is interpreted relative to the current buffer's default directory.
! (On MS-Windows and MS-DOS, file names which start with a drive letter
! @address@hidden:} are treated as absolute, not relative.)
  @xref{Minibuffer File,Default Directory}.

  @item Defun
! A defun is a major definition at the top level in a program.  The name
! `defun' comes from Lisp, where most such definitions use the construct
! @code{defun}.  @xref{Defuns}.

  @item @key{DEL}
! @key{DEL} is a character that runs the command to delete one character
! of text before the cursor.  It is typically either the @key{DELETE}
! key or the @key{BACKSPACE} key, whichever one is easy to type.
  @xref{Erasing,DEL}.

  @item Deletion
--- 311,334 ----
  you do not specify a value to use.

  @item Default Directory
! Each buffer (q.v.@:) has a default directory which is normally the same
! as the directory of the file visited in that buffer.  When you specify a
! file name (q.v.@:) that does not start with @samp{/} or @samp{~}, it is
! interpreted relative to the current buffer's default directory.
  @xref{Minibuffer File,Default Directory}.

+ On MS-Windows and MS-DOS, file names starting with a drive letter
! A defun is a major definition at the top level (q.v.@:) of a program.

! @key{DEL} is a character that runs the command to delete the character
! preceding the cursor.  It is typically either the @key{DELETE} key or
! the @key{BACKSPACE} key, whichever one is easy to type.
  @xref{Erasing,DEL}.

  @item Deletion
***************
*** 344,356 ****
  but no actual text is thereby lost.  @xref{Windows}.

  @item Directory
! File directories are named collections in the file system, within which
! you can place individual files or subdirectories.  @xref{Directories}.

  @item Dired
! Dired is the Emacs facility that displays the contents of a file
! directory and allows you to ``edit the directory,'' performing
! operations on the files in the directory.  @xref{Dired}.

  @item Disabled Command
  A disabled command is one that you may not run without special
--- 350,362 ----
  but no actual text is thereby lost.  @xref{Windows}.

  @item Directory
! Directories are named collections in the file system, within which you
! can place individual files or subdirectories.  @xref{Directories}.

  @item Dired
! Dired is the Emacs facility that displays the contents of a directory
! (q.v.@:) and allows you to ``edit the directory,'' performing operations
! on the files in the directory.  @xref{Dired}.

  @item Disabled Command
  A disabled command is one that you may not run without special
***************
*** 369,401 ****
  A dribble file is a file into which Emacs writes all the characters that
  you type on the keyboard.  Dribble files are used to make a record
  for debugging Emacs bugs.  Emacs does not make a dribble file unless you
! tell it to.  @xref{Bugs}.

  @item Echo Area
! The echo area is the bottom line of the screen, used for echoing the
! arguments to commands, for asking questions, and showing brief messages
! (including error messages).  The messages are stored in the buffer
! @samp{*Messages*} so you can review them later.  @xref{Echo Area}.

  @item Echoing
! Echoing is acknowledging the receipt of input events by displaying
! them (in the echo area).  Emacs never echoes single-character key
  sequences; longer key sequences echo only if you pause while typing
  them.

  @item Electric
  We say that a character is electric if it is normally self-inserting
! (q.v.@:), but the current major mode (q.v.@:) redefines it to do something
! else as well.  For example, some programming language major modes define
! particular delimiter characters to reindent the line or insert one or
! more newlines in addition to self-insertion.

  @item End Of Line
! End of line is a character or a sequence of characters that indicate
! the end of a text line.  On GNU and Unix systems, this is a newline
! (q.v.@:), but other systems have other conventions.  @xref{Coding
! Systems,end-of-line}.  Emacs can recognize several end-of-line
! conventions in files and convert between them.

  @item Environment Variable
  An environment variable is one of a collection of variables stored by
--- 375,408 ----
! tell it to.  @xref{Checklist}.

  @item Echo Area
! The echo area is the bottom area of a frame (q.v.@:), used for echoing

! in the echo area (q.v.@:).  Emacs never echoes single-character key

! (q.v.@:), but other systems have other conventions.  Emacs can recognize
! several end-of-line conventions in files and convert between them.
! @xref{Coding Systems,end-of-line}.

  @item Environment Variable
  An environment variable is one of a collection of variables stored by
***************
*** 416,424 ****

  @item Error Message
  An error message is a single line of output displayed by Emacs when the
! user asks for something impossible to do (such as, killing text
! forward when point is at the end of the buffer).  They appear in the
! echo area, accompanied by a beep.

  @item @key{ESC}
  @key{ESC} is a character used as a prefix for typing Meta characters on
--- 423,431 ----

! (q.v.@:), accompanied by a beep.

  @item @key{ESC}
  @key{ESC} is a character used as a prefix for typing Meta characters on
***************
*** 453,459 ****
  directory, but an absolute file name refers to the same file regardless
  of which directory is current.  On GNU and Unix systems, an absolute
  file name starts with a slash (the root directory) or with @samp{~/} or
! @address@hidden/} (a home directory).  On MS-Windows/MS-DOS, and
  absolute file name can also start with a drive letter and a colon
  @address@hidden:}.

--- 460,466 ----
  directory, but an absolute file name refers to the same file regardless
  of which directory is current.  On GNU and Unix systems, an absolute
  file name starts with a slash (the root directory) or with @samp{~/} or
! @address@hidden/} (a home directory).  On MS-Windows/MS-DOS, an
  absolute file name can also start with a drive letter and a colon
  @address@hidden:}.

***************
*** 477,487 ****
  @item Filling
  Filling text means shifting text between consecutive lines so that all
  the lines are approximately the same length.  @xref{Filling}.  Some
! other editors call this feature `line wrapping.'

  @item Font Lock
! Font Lock is a mode that highlights parts of buffer text according to
! its syntax.  @xref{Font Lock}.

  @item Fontset
  A fontset is a named collection of fonts.  A fontset specification lists
--- 484,494 ----

! Font Lock is a minor mode (q.v.@:) that highlights parts of buffer text
! according to its syntax.  @xref{Font Lock}.

  @item Fontset
  A fontset is a named collection of fonts.  A fontset specification lists
***************
*** 506,519 ****
  but in Emacs a window means something else.

  @item Fringe
! On a graphical display (q.v.@:), there's a narrow portion of the
! frame (q.v.@:) between the text area and the window's border.  Emacs
! displays the fringe using a special face (q.v.@:) called
! @code{fringe}.  @xref{Faces,fringe}.
!
! @item FTP
! FTP is an acronym for File Transfer Protocol.  Emacs uses an FTP client
! program to provide access to remote files (q.v.@:).

  @item Function Key
  A function key is a key on the keyboard that sends input but does not
--- 513,533 ----
  but in Emacs a window means something else.

  @item Fringe
! On a graphical display (q.v.@:) a fringe denotes the narrow portion
! between the text area and the scroll bar (q.v.@:) or internal border
! (q.v.@:) of the containing window (q.v.@:).  @xref{Fringes}.
!
! @item @acronym{FTP}
! @acronym{FTP} is an acronym for File Transfer Protocol.  Emacs uses an
! @acronym{FTP} client program to provide access to remote files (q.v.@:).
! @xref{Remote Files}.
!
! @item Function
! Functions are the basic constituents of Lisp (q.v.@:) programs.  A
! command (q.v.@:) is a function that can be called interactively.  In
! Lisp `defuns' (q.v.@:) are the usual way to define new functions.
! @xref{What Is a Function,,What Is a Function,elisp,The Emacs Lisp
! Reference Manual}.

  @item Function Key
  A function key is a key on the keyboard that sends input but does not
***************
*** 561,577 ****
  A graphical display is one that can display images and multiple fonts.
  Usually it also has a window system (q.v.@:).

- @item Highlighting
- Highlighting text means displaying it with a different foreground and/or
- background color to make it stand out from the rest of the text in the
- buffer.
-
- Emacs uses highlighting in several ways.  When you mark a region with
- the mouse, the region is always highlighted.  Optionally Emacs can
- also highlight the region whenever it is active (@pxref{Transient
- Mark}).  Incremental search also highlights matches (@pxref{Incremental
- Search}).  See also `font lock'.
-
  @item Hardcopy
  Hardcopy means printed output.  Emacs has commands for making printed
  listings of text in Emacs buffers.  @xref{Printing}.
--- 575,580 ----
***************
*** 582,592 ****
  command does.  @xref{Help}.

  @item Help Echo
! Help echo is a short message displayed in the echo area when the mouse
! pointer is located on portions of display that require some
  explanations.  Emacs displays help echo for menu items, parts of the
! mode line, tool-bar buttons, etc.  On graphics displays, the messages
! can be displayed as tooltips (q.v.@:).  @xref{Tooltips}.

  @item Hook
  A hook is a list of functions to be called on specific occasions, such
--- 585,604 ----
  command does.  @xref{Help}.

  @item Help Echo
! Help echo is a short message displayed in the echo area (q.v.@:) when
! the mouse pointer is located on portions of display that may require
  explanations.  Emacs displays help echo for menu items, parts of the
! mode line, tool-bar buttons, etc.  On graphical displays, the messages
! can be displayed as tooltips (q.v.@:).  @xref{Help Echo}.
!
! @item Highlighting
! Highlighting text means displaying it in a special way to make it stand
! (q.v.@:) whenever it is active (@pxref{Transient Mark}).  Incremental
! search also highlights matches (@pxref{Incremental Search}).  See also
! `font lock.'

  @item Hook
  A hook is a list of functions to be called on specific occasions, such
***************
*** 603,609 ****

  @item Inbox
  An inbox is a file in which mail is delivered by the operating system.
! Rmail transfers mail from inboxes to Rmail files (q.v.@:) in which the
  mail is then stored permanently or until explicitly deleted.
  @xref{Rmail Inbox}.

--- 615,621 ----

! Rmail transfers mail from inboxes to Rmail (q.v.@:) files in which the
  mail is then stored permanently or until explicitly deleted.
  @xref{Rmail Inbox}.

***************
*** 619,626 ****
  @xref{Indentation}.

  @item Indirect Buffer
! An indirect buffer is a buffer that shares the text of another buffer,
! called its base buffer (q.v.@:).  @xref{Indirect Buffers}.

  @item Info
  Info is the hypertext format used by the GNU project for writing
--- 631,638 ----
  @xref{Indentation}.

  @item Indirect Buffer
! An indirect buffer is a buffer (q.v.@:) that shares the text of another
! buffer, called its base buffer (q.v.@:).  @xref{Indirect Buffers}.

  @item Info
  Info is the hypertext format used by the GNU project for writing
***************
*** 633,640 ****
  frames.  @xref{User Input}.

  @item Input Method
! An input method is a system for entering address@hidden text characters by
! typing sequences of @acronym{ASCII} characters (q.v.@:).  @xref{Input
Methods}.

  @item Insertion
  Insertion means copying text into the buffer, either from the keyboard
--- 645,653 ----
  frames.  @xref{User Input}.

  @item Input Method
! An input method is a system for entering address@hidden text
! characters by typing sequences of @acronym{ASCII} characters (q.v.@:).
! @xref{Input Methods}.

  @item Insertion
  Insertion means copying text into the buffer, either from the keyboard
***************
*** 665,671 ****
  @item Keyboard Shortcut
  A keyboard shortcut is a key sequence (q.v.@:) which invokes a
  command.  What some programs call ``assigning a keyboard shortcut,''
! Emacs calls ``binding a key sequence''.  See `binding.'

  @item Key Sequence
  A key sequence (key, for short) is a sequence of input events (q.v.@:)
--- 678,684 ----
  @item Keyboard Shortcut
  A keyboard shortcut is a key sequence (q.v.@:) which invokes a
  command.  What some programs call ``assigning a keyboard shortcut,''
! Emacs calls ``binding a key sequence.''  See `binding.'

  @item Key Sequence
  A key sequence (key, for short) is a sequence of input events (q.v.@:)
***************
*** 674,682 ****
  it is a prefix key (q.v.@:).  @xref{Keys}.

  @item Keymap
! The keymap is the data structure that records the bindings (q.v.@:) of
! key sequences to the commands that they run.  For example, the global
! keymap binds the character @kbd{C-n} to the command function
  @code{next-line}.  @xref{Keymaps}.

  @item Keyboard Translation Table
--- 687,695 ----

! A keymap is a data structure that records the bindings (q.v.@:) of key
! sequences (q.v.@:) to the commands (q.v.@:) that they run.  For example,
! the global keymap binds the character @kbd{C-n} to the command
  @code{next-line}.  @xref{Keymaps}.

  @item Keyboard Translation Table
***************
*** 695,710 ****
  Most Emacs commands that erase text perform killing, as opposed to
  deletion (q.v.@:).  @xref{Killing}.

! @item Killing a Job
! Killing a job (such as, an invocation of Emacs) means making it cease
! to exist.  Any data within it, if not saved in a file, is lost.
! @xref{Exiting}.

  @item Language Environment
  Your choice of language environment specifies defaults for the input
  method (q.v.@:) and coding system (q.v.@:).  @xref{Language
! Environments}.  These defaults are relevant if you edit address@hidden text
! (@pxref{International}).

  @item Line Wrapping
  See `filling.'
--- 708,722 ----
  Most Emacs commands that erase text perform killing, as opposed to
  deletion (q.v.@:).  @xref{Killing}.

! @item Killing Emacs
! Killing an invocation of Emacs means making it cease to exist.  Any
! buffer changes, if not saved in a file, are lost.  @xref{Exiting}.

  @item Language Environment
  Your choice of language environment specifies defaults for the input
  method (q.v.@:) and coding system (q.v.@:).  @xref{Language
! Environments}.  These defaults are relevant if you edit
! address@hidden text (@pxref{International}).

  @item Line Wrapping
  See `filling.'
***************
*** 723,732 ****
  lists.  @xref{Moving by Parens}.

  @item Local
! Local means ``in effect only in a particular context''; the relevant
! kind of context is a particular function execution, a particular
! buffer, or a particular major mode.  It is the opposite of `global'
! (q.v.@:).  Specific uses of `local' in Emacs terminology appear below.

  @item Local Abbrev
  A local abbrev definition is effective only if a particular major mode
--- 735,744 ----
  lists.  @xref{Moving by Parens}.

  @item Local
! Local means ``in effect only in a particular context''; where the
! relevant kind of context is a particular function execution, buffer, or
! major mode.  It is the opposite of `global' (q.v.@:).  Specific uses of
! `local' in Emacs terminology appear below.

  @item Local Abbrev
  A local abbrev definition is effective only if a particular major mode
***************
*** 755,763 ****
  @xref{User Input,C-M-}.

  @item @kbd{M-x}
! @kbd{M-x} is the key sequence which is used to call an Emacs command by
! name.  This is how you run commands that are not bound to key sequences.
! @xref{M-x,M-x,Running Commands by Name}.

  @item Mail
  Mail means messages sent from one user to another through the computer
--- 767,775 ----

! (q.v.@:) by name.  This is how you run commands that are not bound to
! key sequences.  @xref{M-x,M-x,Running Commands by Name}.

  @item Mail
  Mail means messages sent from one user to another through the computer
***************
*** 777,795 ****

  @item Margin
  The space between the usable part of a window (including the
! fringe) and the window edge.

  @item Mark
! The mark points to a position in the text.  It specifies one end of the
! region (q.v.@:), point being the other end.  Many commands operate on
! all the text from point to the mark.  Each buffer has its own mark.
! @xref{Mark}.

  @item Mark Ring
  The mark ring is used to hold several recent previous locations of the
! mark, just in case you want to move back to them.  Each buffer has its
! own mark ring; in addition, there is a single global mark ring (q.v.@:).
! @xref{Mark Ring}.

  @item Menu Bar
  The menu bar is the line at the top of an Emacs frame.  It contains
--- 789,807 ----

  @item Margin
  The space between the usable part of a window (including the
! fringe (q.v.@:)) and the window edge.

  @item Mark
! The mark points to a position in the text of a buffer.  It specifies one
! end of the region (q.v.@:), point (q.v.@:) being the other end.  Many

! mark (q.v.@:), just in case you want to move back to them.  Each buffer
! has its own mark ring; in addition, there is a single global mark ring
! (q.v.@:).  @xref{Mark Ring}.

  @item Menu Bar
  The menu bar is the line at the top of an Emacs frame.  It contains
***************
*** 816,823 ****
  A Meta character is one whose character code includes the Meta bit.

  @item Minibuffer
! The minibuffer is the window that appears when necessary inside the
! echo area (q.v.@:), used for reading arguments to commands.
  @xref{Minibuffer}.

  @item Minibuffer History
--- 828,835 ----
  A Meta character is one whose character code includes the Meta bit.

  @item Minibuffer
! The minibuffer is a buffer, displayed when necessary inside the echo
! area (q.v.@:), used for reading arguments to commands.
  @xref{Minibuffer}.

  @item Minibuffer History
***************
*** 847,865 ****
  has never been saved).  @xref{Saving}.

  @item Moving Text
! Moving text means erasing it from one place and inserting it in
! another.  The usual way to move text by killing (q.v.@:) and then
! yanking (q.v.@:).  @xref{Killing}.

  @item MULE
! MULE refers to the Emacs features for editing multilingual address@hidden text
! using multibyte characters (q.v.@:).  @xref{International}.

  @item Multibyte Character
  A multibyte character is a character that takes up several bytes in a
! buffer.  Emacs uses multibyte characters to represent address@hidden text,
! since the number of address@hidden characters is much more than 256.
! @xref{International Chars, International Characters}.

  @item Named Mark
  A named mark is a register (q.v.@:) in its role of recording a
--- 859,879 ----

! The usual way to move text is by killing (q.v.@:) and then yanking
! (q.v.@:).  @xref{Killing}.

  @item MULE
! MULE refers to the Emacs features for editing multilingual
! address@hidden text using multibyte characters (q.v.@:).
! @xref{International}.

  @item Multibyte Character
  A multibyte character is a character that takes up several bytes in a
! buffer.  Emacs uses multibyte characters to represent
! address@hidden text, since the number of address@hidden
! characters is much more than 256.  @xref{International Chars,
! International Characters}.

  @item Named Mark
  A named mark is a register (q.v.@:) in its role of recording a
***************
*** 889,902 ****
  repeat count.  @xref{Arguments}.

  @item Overwrite Mode
! Overwrite mode is a minor mode.  When it is enabled, ordinary text
! characters replace the existing text after point rather than pushing
! it to the right.  @xref{Minor Modes}.

  @item Page
! A page is a unit of text, delimited by formfeed characters (@acronym{ASCII}
! control-L, code 014) coming at the beginning of a line.  Some Emacs
! commands are provided for moving over and operating on pages.
  @xref{Pages}.

  @item Paragraph
--- 903,916 ----

! Overwrite mode is a minor mode (q.v.@:).  When it is enabled, ordinary
! text characters replace the existing text after point rather than
! pushing it to the right.  @xref{Minor Modes}.

  @item Page
! A page is a unit of text, delimited by formfeed characters
! (@acronym{ASCII} control-L, code 014) coming at the beginning of a line.
! Some Emacs commands are provided for moving over and operating on pages.
  @xref{Pages}.

  @item Paragraph
***************
*** 910,926 ****
  end of a word or expression.  @xref{Syntax}.

  @item Point
! Point is the place in the buffer at which insertion and deletion
! occur.  Point is considered to be between two characters, not at one
! character.  The terminal's cursor (q.v.@:) indicates the location of
! point.  @xref{Point}.

  @item Prefix Argument
  See `numeric argument.'

  @item Prefix Key
! A prefix key is a key sequence (q.v.@:) whose sole function is to
! introduce a set of longer key sequences.  @kbd{C-x} is an example of
  prefix key; any two-character sequence starting with @kbd{C-x} is
  therefore a legitimate key sequence.  @xref{Keys}.

--- 924,940 ----

! Point is the position in a buffer (q.v.@:) where insertion (q.v.@:) and
! deletion (q.v.@:) occur.  Point is considered to be between two

! A prefix key is a key sequence (q.v.@:) whose sole purpose is to
! introduce a set of longer key sequences.  @kbd{C-x} is an example of a
  prefix key; any two-character sequence starting with @kbd{C-x} is
  therefore a legitimate key sequence.  @xref{Keys}.

***************
*** 945,957 ****
  you pause in the middle of typing a multi-character key sequence is also
  a kind of prompting (@pxref{Echo Area}).

  @item Query-Replace
  Query-replace is an interactive string replacement feature provided by
  Emacs.  @xref{Query Replace}.

  @item Quitting
! Quitting means canceling a partially typed command or a running
! command, using @kbd{C-g} (or @address@hidden on MS-DOS).  @xref{Quitting}.

  @item Quoting
  Quoting means depriving a character of its usual special significance.
--- 959,977 ----
  you pause in the middle of typing a multi-character key sequence is also
  a kind of prompting (@pxref{Echo Area}).

+ @item Punctuation
+ Punctuation characters are used as punctuation in human languages.  In
+ programming language use they may separate symbol (q.v.@:) names from
+ each other.  Word search (q.v.@:) ignores punctuation between words.
+ @xref{Syntax}.
+
  @item Query-Replace
  Query-replace is an interactive string replacement feature provided by
  Emacs.  @xref{Query Replace}.

  @item Quitting
! Quitting means canceling a partially typed command or a running command,
! using @kbd{C-g} (or @address@hidden on MS-DOS).  @xref{Quitting}.

  @item Quoting
  Quoting means depriving a character of its usual special significance.
***************
*** 964,976 ****
  all contexts allow quoting.  @xref{Inserting Text,Quoting}.

  @item Quoting File Names
! Quoting a file name turns off the special significance of constructs
! such as @samp{$}, @samp{~} and @samp{:}.  @xref{Quoted File Names}.

  @item Read-Only Buffer
! A read-only buffer is one whose text you are not allowed to change.
! Normally Emacs makes buffers read-only when they contain text which
! has a special significance to Emacs; for example, Dired buffers.
  Visiting a file that is write-protected also makes a read-only buffer.
  @xref{Buffers}.

--- 984,997 ----

! Quoting a file name (q.v.@:) turns off the special significance of

! A read-only buffer (q.v.@:) is one whose text you are not allowed to
! change.  Normally Emacs makes buffers read-only when they contain text
! which has a special significance to Emacs; for example, Dired buffers.
  Visiting a file that is write-protected also makes a read-only buffer.
  @xref{Buffers}.

***************
*** 981,990 ****
  @xref{Rectangles}.

  @item Recursive Editing Level
! A recursive editing level is a state in which part of the execution of
! a command involves asking you to edit some text.  This text may
! or may not be the same as the text to which the command was applied.
! The mode line indicates recursive editing levels with square brackets
  (@samp{[} and @samp{]}).  @xref{Recursive Edit}.

  @item Redisplay
--- 1002,1011 ----

! (q.v.@:) indicates recursive editing levels with square brackets
  (@samp{[} and @samp{]}).  @xref{Recursive Edit}.

  @item Redisplay
***************
*** 1030,1041 ****

  @item @key{RET}
  @key{RET} is a character that in Emacs runs the command to insert a
! newline into the text.  It is also used to terminate most arguments
  read in the minibuffer (q.v.@:).  @xref{User Input,Return}.

  @item Reverting
! Reverting means returning to the original state.  Emacs lets you
! revert a buffer by re-reading its file from disk.  @xref{Reverting}.

  @item Rmail File
  An Rmail file is a file containing text in a special format used by
--- 1051,1062 ----

  @item @key{RET}
  @key{RET} is a character that in Emacs runs the command to insert a
! newline into a buffer.  It is also used to terminate most arguments

! a buffer (q.v.@:) by re-reading its file from disk.  @xref{Reverting}.

  @item Rmail File
  An Rmail file is a file containing text in a special format used by
***************
*** 1049,1070 ****
  @item Scroll Bar
  A scroll bar is a tall thin hollow box that appears at the side of a
  window.  You can use mouse commands in the scroll bar to scroll the
! window.  The scroll bar feature is supported only under windowing
! systems.  @xref{Scroll Bars}.

  @item Scrolling
! Scrolling means shifting the text in the Emacs window so as to see a
! different part of the buffer.  @xref{Scrolling}.

  @item Searching
! Searching means moving point to the next occurrence of a specified
! string or the next match for a specified regular expression.
! @xref{Search}.

  @item Search Path
! A search path is a list of directory names, to be used for searching for
! files for certain purposes.  For example, the variable @code{load-path}
! holds a search path for finding Lisp library files.  @xref{Lisp Libraries}.

  @item Secondary Selection
  The secondary selection is one particular X selection; some X
--- 1070,1091 ----
  @item Scroll Bar
  A scroll bar is a tall thin hollow box that appears at the side of a
  window.  You can use mouse commands in the scroll bar to scroll the
! window.  The scroll bar feature is supported only under window systems
! (q.v.@:).  @xref{Scroll Bars}.

  @item Scrolling
! Scrolling means shifting the text in an Emacs window so as to see a
! different part of the window's buffer.  @xref{Scrolling}.

  @item Searching
! Searching means moving point (q.v.@:) to the next occurrence of a
! specified string or the next match for a specified regular expression
! (q.v.@:).  @xref{Search}.

  @item Search Path
! A search path is a list of directory names that is used when searching
! for files.  For example, the variable @code{load-path} holds a search
! path for finding Lisp library files.  @xref{Lisp Libraries}.

  @item Secondary Selection
  The secondary selection is one particular X selection; some X
***************
*** 1077,1083 ****
  @xref{Frames}.

  @item Selected Window
! The selected frame is the one your input currently operates on.
  @xref{Basic Window}.

  @item Selecting a Buffer
--- 1098,1104 ----
  @xref{Frames}.

  @item Selected Window
! The selected window is the one your input currently operates on.
  @xref{Basic Window}.

  @item Selecting a Buffer
***************
*** 1085,1096 ****
  @xref{Select Buffer}.

  @item Selection
! Windowing systems allow an application program to specify
  selections whose values are text.  A program can also read the
  selections that other programs have set up.  This is the principal way
  of transferring text between window applications.  Emacs has commands to
! work with the primary (q.v.@:) selection and the secondary (q.v.@:)
! selection, and also with the clipboard (q.v.@:).

  @item Self-Documentation
  Self-documentation is the feature of Emacs which can tell you what any
--- 1106,1117 ----
  @xref{Select Buffer}.

  @item Selection
! Window systems (q.v.@:) allow an application program to specify
  selections whose values are text.  A program can also read the
  selections that other programs have set up.  This is the principal way
  of transferring text between window applications.  Emacs has commands to
! work with the primary (q.v.@:) selection and the secondary
! (q.v.@:) selection, and also with the clipboard (q.v.@:).

  @item Self-Documentation
  Self-documentation is the feature of Emacs which can tell you what any
***************
*** 1104,1118 ****
  are self-inserting in Emacs, except in certain special major modes.

  @item Sentences
! Emacs has commands for moving by or killing by sentences.
  @xref{Sentences}.

  @item Sexp
! A sexp (short for ``s-expression'') is the basic syntactic unit of
! Lisp in its textual form: either a list, or Lisp atom.  Sexps are also
! the balanced expressions (q.v.@:) of the Lisp language; this is why
! the commands for editing balanced expressions have `sexp' in their
! name.  @xref{Expressions,Sexps}.

  @item Simultaneous Editing
  Simultaneous editing means two users modifying the same file at once.
--- 1125,1139 ----
  are self-inserting in Emacs, except in certain special major modes.

  @item Sentences
! Emacs has commands for moving by, or killing sentences.
  @xref{Sentences}.

  @item Sexp
! A sexp (short for ``s-expression'') is the basic syntactic unit of Lisp
! in its textual form: either a list, or a Lisp atom.  Sexps are also the
! balanced expressions (q.v.@:) of the Lisp language; this is why the
! commands for editing balanced expressions have `sexp' in their name.
! @xref{Expressions,Sexps}.

  @item Simultaneous Editing
  Simultaneous editing means two users modifying the same file at once.
***************
*** 1149,1163 ****
  allowed as well.

  @item String Substitution
! See `global substitution'.
!
! @item Syntax Highlighting
! See `font lock.'
!
! @item Syntax Table
! The syntax table tells Emacs which characters are part of a word,
! which characters balance each other like parentheses, etc.
! @xref{Syntax}.

  @item Super
  Super is the name of a modifier bit which a keyboard input character may
--- 1170,1176 ----
  allowed as well.

  @item String Substitution
! See `global substitution.'

  @item Super
  Super is the name of a modifier bit which a keyboard input character may
***************
*** 1166,1180 ****
  @kbd{Super-} (usually written @kbd{s-} for short).  @xref{User Input,
  Super}.

! @item Suspending
! Suspending Emacs means stopping it temporarily and returning control
! to its parent process, which is usually a shell.  Unlike killing a job
! (q.v.@:), you can later resume the suspended Emacs job without losing
! your buffers, unsaved edits, undo history, etc.  @xref{Exiting}.

  @item @key{TAB}
  @key{TAB} is the tab character.  In Emacs it is typically used for
! indentation or completion.

  @item Tags Table
  A tags table is a file that serves as an index to the function
--- 1179,1207 ----
  @kbd{Super-} (usually written @kbd{s-} for short).  @xref{User Input,
  Super}.

! @item Suspending Emacs
! Suspending Emacs means stopping it temporarily and returning control to
! its parent process, which is usually a shell.  Unlike killing Emacs
! (q.v.@:), suspending allows you to resume the same Emacs job later,
! without losing your buffers, unsaved edits, undo history, etc.
! @xref{Exiting}.
!
! @item Symbol
! Symbols are objects with a unique name.  Symbols names are normally made
! up of word characters and symbol constituent characters (according to
! the syntax table (q.v.@:)).  @xref{Syntax}.
!
! @item Syntax Highlighting
! See `font lock.'
!

! indentation (q.v.@:) or completion (q.v.@:).

  @item Tags Table
  A tags table is a file that serves as an index to the function
***************
*** 1184,1190 ****
  A termscript file contains a record of all characters sent by Emacs to
  the terminal.  It is used for tracking down bugs in Emacs redisplay.
  Emacs does not make a termscript file unless you tell it to.
! @xref{Bugs}.

  @item Text
  `Text' has two meanings (@pxref{Text}):
--- 1211,1217 ----
! @xref{Checklist}.

  @item Text
  `Text' has two meanings (@pxref{Text}):
***************
*** 1227,1245 ****
  text of the file you have visited.  You are at top level whenever you
  are not in a recursive editing level (q.v.@:) or the minibuffer
  (q.v.@:), and not in the middle of a command.  You can get back to top
! level by aborting (q.v.@:) and quitting (q.v.@:).  @xref{Quitting}.

  @item Transposition
  Transposing two units of text means putting each one into the place
  formerly occupied by the other.  There are Emacs commands to transpose
! two adjacent characters, words, balanced expressions (q.v.@:) or lines
! (@pxref{Transpose}).

  @item Truncation
  Truncating text lines in the display means leaving out any text on a
! line that does not fit within the right margin of the window
! displaying it.  See also `continuation line.'
! @xref{Continuation Lines,Truncation}.

  @item TTY
  See `text-only terminal.'
--- 1254,1271 ----
! level by aborting (q.v.@:) or quitting (q.v.@:).  @xref{Quitting}.

  @item Transposition
  Transposing two units of text means putting each one into the place
  formerly occupied by the other.  There are Emacs commands to transpose
! two adjacent characters, words, balanced expressions (q.v.@:) or lines.
! @xref{Transpose}.

  @item Truncation
  Truncating text lines in the display means leaving out any text on a
! line that does not fit within the right margin of the window displaying
! it.  @xref{Continuation Lines,Truncation}.

  @item TTY
  See `text-only terminal.'
***************
*** 1291,1305 ****
  @item Window System
  A window system is software that operates on a graphical display
  (q.v.@:), to subdivide the screen so that multiple applications can
! have their] own windows at the same time.  All modern operating systems
  include a window system.

  @item Word Abbrev
  See `abbrev.'

  @item Word Search
  Word search is searching for a sequence of words, considering the
! punctuation between them as insignificant.  @xref{Word Search}.

  @item WYSIWYG
  WYSIWYG stands for ``What you see is what you get.''  Emacs generally
--- 1317,1336 ----
  @item Window System
  A window system is software that operates on a graphical display
  (q.v.@:), to subdivide the screen so that multiple applications can
! have their own windows at the same time.  All modern operating systems
  include a window system.

+ @item Word
+ A word is text built entirely from characters classified as word
+ constituents by the syntax table (q.v.@:).  @xref{Syntax}.
+ @xref{Words}, for commands moving over or operating on words.
+

! punctuation (q.v.@:) between them as insignificant.  @xref{Word Search}.