Re: xml-parse-file and text properties

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: xml-parse-file and text properties
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 10:51:16 +0900

In article <address@hidden>, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> writes:

>     The argument that we need to preserve the `composition' property doesn't
>     seem valid: this property can be computed from the sequence of chars.

> Handa, is it true that the composition property can always be recomputed
> from the sequence of characters?

Usually yes, but not always.  All normal compositions
(i.e. compositions for displaying a script in the correct
way) are registered in composition-function-table (a
char-table).  So, by looking up the table for each
character, we can recover compositions (though very slow).
But, it's possible to manually compose some text.  For
instance please try this:

(insert (compose-string "+o" 0 2 '(?+ (tc . bc) ?o)))

It inserts "+o" with composition property that can't be
recovered automatically once lost.

---
Kenichi Handa
address@hidden