Re: Emacs geometry

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: Emacs geometry
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 23:29:05 +0200

* Eli Zaretskii (2006-07-25) writes:

> Here's what I saw in the code, that would perhaps help you.  When
> Emacs sees -geometry, it puts the width and height parameters into
> both default-frame-alist and initial-frame-alist, but top and left
> only into initial-frame-alist.

Okay, that matches the description of the `geometry' X resource in
(info "(emacs)Table of Resources").  The description of the --geometry
command line option, however, doesn't mention a different treatment
of initial and following frames:

,----[ (info "(emacs)Window Size X") ]
| `-g WIDTHxHEIGHT[{+-}XOFFSET{+-}YOFFSET]]'
| `--geometry=WIDTHxHEIGHT[{+-}XOFFSET{+-}YOFFSET]]'
|      Specify the size WIDTH and HEIGHT (measured in character columns
|      and lines), and positions XOFFSET and YOFFSET (measured in
|      pixels).  This applies to all frames.
`----

That's probably a documentation bug (unless the option is really
treated this way on X, which I haven't looked up).

--
Ralf