RE: [Bug] "You can't edit this part of the Custom buffer"

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [Bug] "You can't edit this part of the Custom buffer"
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 20:03:03 -0700

    > I'm not responsible for the fix, but I reported the bug that was
    > fixed: See the thread "Customize buffer modification: indicator,
    > feedback, undo" in emacs-pretest, of June 10-11, 2006.

    From your bug report:

        2. Trying to type in the header text has no effect. There
           should be a message indicating that that area of text
           is read-only. Otherwise, with no feedback, the user
           doesn't understand what's happening and why.

    I think this is an unreasonable quibble.

    With the old behavior, when you try to insert something in a Customize
    buffer, you get an error:

      "Text is read-only: Attempt to change text outside editable field"

    Now, you get the error:

      "You can't edit this part of the Custom buffer"

    The difference is negligible.  No user is going to get confused about
    why they can't edit the Customize buffer---it's obvious, from the
    appearance of the buffer, which contains buttons and hyperlinks, that
    it's not meant to be edited.  (In a similar vein, we don't worry that
    users will type "s" in an Info buffer and be shocked that it runs
    Info-search instead of inserting text!)

No. Please read my bug report again. I said "has no effect". And I said
"with no feedback". And that was the behavior at the time: nothing, nada,
zip - no feedback to the user. You hit a key, and you see no effect and no
message. I just retested, to be sure, BTW.

I have no problem with either message that you quote. The problem was that
there was no message at all. Every user action deserves some perceptible
change or feedback.