RE: [Bug] "You can't edit this part of the Custom buffer"

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [Bug] "You can't edit this part of the Custom buffer"
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 06:54:57 -0700

    > No. Please read my bug report again. I said "has no effect".
    > And I said "with no feedback". And that was the behavior at the time:
    > nothing, nada, zip - no feedback to the user. You hit a key, and you
    > see no effect and no message. I just retested, to be sure, BTW.

    Revert the change to cus-edit.el to what it was before, and do the
    following:

Which change? To what it was before, when?

      emacs -q
      M-x customize-face RET font-lock-comment-face RET

    A message shows up in the echo area saying

      Text is read-only: "Attempt to change text outside editable field"

Are you doubting the bug report was accurate? I told you that I just
retested it in that older build (GNU Emacs 22.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
of 2006-03-20 on W2ONE X server distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version
5.1.2600 configured using `configure --with-gcc
(3.4) --cflags -Id:/g/include').

If there was some time previous to that, where Emacs 22 did not manifest the
bug, and you want to return to that unbugged code, that's fine with me. I
simply reported a bug that existed in a build I was using: there was *no*
feedback to the user at that time. Richard fixed that bug, so presumably he
was able to reproduce it also.