Re: problem with system_eol_type

From: Katsumi Yamaoka
Subject: Re: problem with system_eol_type
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2006 11:03:22 +0900

;; Mule-ja people, you can read all the followups at:
;; http://news.gmane.org/group/gmane.emacs.devel/thread=57837/force_load=t

[...]

> I see two possible approaches to this:

> 1. Fix those programs to specify `-unix'.  That way, they should get
> LF eol behavior in all Emacs versions on all systems.

> 2. Take out your old change, and implement something at the UI level,
> perhaps in a function that reads a coding system name.

> #1 is clearly easier.  Is there any strong argument against it?

I think it is reasonable to use the eol which is system's
default when saving text files.  Since Gnus uses `raw-text' by
default to save files in many cases, mail files, for example,
are now saved with CRLF in DOS machines, otherwise with LF.  It
will be useful when other programs use those files.  So, I agree
to the recent behavior of Emacs but am negative to change Gnus'
default.

By the way, why is not CR used in Mac when specifying the coding
system `foo', not `foo-eol'?

Contrary to this argument concerning saving of files, I hope the
forms

(encode-coding-string "bar\n" 'foo)

and

(with-temp-buffer
  (insert "bar\n")
  (encode-coding-region (point-min) (point-max) 'foo)
  (buffer-string))

always return "bar\n" regardless of the system-type in the
future as well.

I don't have an idea how we should do when communicating with
processes.  Sorry.