Re: address@hidden: Customize valuemenudoesn'trecognizemouse-2]

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Customize valuemenudoesn'trecognizemouse-2]
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2006 12:41:21 -0400

> From: "Drew Adams" <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 09:16:01 -0700
>
>     My preference is to unbind mouse-2 on buttons, at least for
>     MS-Windows.  This will make behavior on all platforms consistent, as
>     you would like.  But Richard asked not to make such a change, so my
>     hands are tied.
>
> IIUC, Richard didn't say that you couldn't let mouse-2 select menu items in
> the value menu, in addition to opening the menu.

If we allow that, we will get inconsistent behavior with other menus,
such as the one that's dropped from the menu bar, because where mouse
events are handled, we don't know what flavor of menu is being
processed.

Allowing mouse-2 on the menu bar is not a good idea, IMO, hence my
preference above.

> To me, it's OK to not let mouse-2 do either: open or choose. And it's OK to
> let mouse-2 do both: open and choose. To me, it's not OK to do one but not
> the other.
>
> And, apparently, for Richard it's not OK to not let mouse-2 open. So,...

And to me, it's not OK to let mouse-2 drop menu-bar menus.  So,...