Re: address@hidden: [patch] url-hexify-string does not follow W3C spec]

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
Subject: Re: address@hidden: [patch] url-hexify-string does not follow W3C spec]
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2006 11:06:27 +0900

> conversion to utf-8 is per the RFC, which seems to be the primary
> context for this function; avoiding that conversion means
> noncompliance w/ the RFC.

Do you mean RFC 3986 by "the RFC"?  IIUC, it refers to UTF-8 in the
following 3 parts:

  * 2.5 Identifying Data, 3rd paragraph
    How to interpret a unreserved character as an octet.  (It also
    refers to other superset of the US-ASCII character encoding).

  * 2.5 Identifying Data, last paragraph
    Encoding of a URI component that represents *textual data*
    consisting of characters from UCS for *a new URI scheme*.

  * 3.2.2 Host
    Encoding of a registered name that represents a host.

So, I don't think that avoiding UTF-8 conversion for non-textual data
or for a URI scheme that has existed as of RFC 3986 deviates from the
RFC.

                                     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
                                address@hidden