Re: address@hidden: Font Lock on-the-fly misfontification in C++]

From: Aidan Kehoe
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Font Lock on-the-fly misfontification in C++]
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 11:38:48 +0200

 Ar an t-aonú lá is triochad de mí Iúil, scríobh Richard Stallman:

 > To speak of "GNU Emacs" and "XEmacs" gives the impression that XEmacs has
 > nothing to do with GNU. Since XEmacs is a forked version of Emacs, that
 > is a misleading impression. Please write "Emacs" and "XEmacs", or else
 > "GNU Emacs" and "GNU XEmacs".

Substantial parts of the code of XEmacs are not copyrighted by the FSF, the
legal entity stewarding the GNU project, and this is almost certain to
remain so. The XEmacs project members do not consider the advancement of the
GNU project as a significant part of our job. We use the term XEmacs, we
never use the term GNU XEmacs.

While there is an argument for the term GNU XEmacs, it is not stronger than
the argument for the term FSF Emacs; we have stopped using the latter out of
respect for the maintainers of GNU Emacs. If you want to be wilfully
disrespectful to the members of the XEmacs project, use GNU XEmacs to refer
to the editor; otherwise, the established usage, XEmacs on its own, will
raise fewer hackles and doesn’t require you to think extra hard every time
you mention the editor.

--
Santa Maradona, priez pour moi!