Re: A bug, I think, in key-binding

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: A bug, I think, in key-binding
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2006 01:18:11 -0400

> That is true.  But I think key-binding MUST do what it now does.
> That is an essential primitive for accessing keymaps.

I don't think the two are incompatible: currently, key-binding does not work
if one of the keys in the sequence is an event (rather than just a char or
a symbol), so we would just need to extend it so it also works with events.

The only trick might be to distinguish events from Lucid-style key
specs like (control c).

> Perhaps we should have a function to do lookup on a key sequence
> just the same way the command loop does.  That can be written in Lisp;
> it just has to see if the first event is a mouse even, and move point
> there inside save-excursion.

Moving point is not sufficient if the click is on an image-map, or on
before-string.  I'd rather reuse the C code if at all possible rather than
try to mimick it in elisp (unless we can completely replace the C version
with the elisp version).

        Stefan