Re: TUTORIAL and scroll bar

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: TUTORIAL and scroll bar
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2006 09:14:44 +0200

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
>> I find this strange: after all, the usual setting for almost all
>> applications (including those on X) is on the right, so the case for
>> Windows does not seem to be different here.
>
> A lot of "traditional" applications (e.g. xterm, xedit) use left-side
> scroll-bars by default (not arbitrarily -- there's some thinking as to
> why left-side scrollbars are better); more recent ones seem to often use
> right-side sbs, probably because of the mac/windows influence.

Ok, I was not aware that we had a few traditional apps approaching
this from the left, too.  I like the left better, anyway, and would
likely reconfigure Emacs if I had to use Windows.

If we had well-working customization themes, this is one example where
a "Windows standard" theme as opposed to an "Emacs standard" theme
could be used to cater for this.