Re: TUTORIAL and scroll bar

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: TUTORIAL and scroll bar
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 09:27:20 +0200

Jan Djärv <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup skrev:
>
>> GTK is nice, but its scroll bars suck as badly as almost anybody
>> else's.  Some years ago I asked on the GTK+ developer list whether
>> they would be thinking of some option to put into .gtkrc-2.0 to fix
>> that for people who could live without the dumbed-down bars of
>> GTK+, but nobody was particularly interested in taking that up.
>>

> They seem to be content with the current behaviour.

I was not asking them to change the default.  I was asking for a way
to change this as a user setting, in a similar manner as one can
configure the text boxes of GTK+ to listen to Emacs-style control
sequences, by placing

gtk-key-theme-name = "Emacs"

into one's ~/.gtkrc-2.0 file.

> You can't even remap buttons, they are hardcoded in the C-code.

Yes, and it would really make much more sense to have a way to change
_all_ GTK scrollbars by a user option rather than being able to change
that on a per-application basis.