Re: valid_pointer_p

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: valid_pointer_p
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 17:39:30 +0300

> From: Andreas Schwab <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden (Kim F. Storm), address@hidden
> Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 14:36:22 +0200
>
> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > ??? Don't we have macros, like INTEGERP, SUBRP, etc. to do that
> > without dereferencing?  The length of the primitive Lisp types is
> > known, right?
>
> Try to find out the size of a vector object.
>
>     /* Vector of Lisp objects, or something resembling it.
>        XVECTOR (object) points to a struct Lisp_Vector, which contains
>        the size and contents.  The size field also contains the type
>        information, if it's not a real vector object.  */
>     Lisp_Vectorlike,

I think something like this should work for such cases:

      struct Lisp_Vector *p = XVECTOR (obj);

      if (valid_pointer_p (p, offsetof (struct Lisp_Vector, size)
                              + sizeof (EMACS_INT))
          && valid_pointer_p (p, p->size))
        return 1;  /* valid */

(Modulo the complications of storing other information in the leading
bits of the `size' field of struct Lisp_Vector.)  This is what I meant
when I wrote:

    Even if you are right, dereferencing a pointer accesses a region in
    memory whose length is known in advance, so at most we will need to
    call valid_pointer_p twice.

Am I missing something?