Re: Low-stress useful project

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Low-stress useful project
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 18:23:30 +0100

Hi, Richard!

On Sat, Aug 12, 2006 at 10:28:03AM -0400, Richard Stallman wrote:
>     With all due respect to everybody, and so on, but the Bash manual,
>     the last time I looked at it[*], didn't seem to be one of the
>     better manuals in the GNU system.  It is short on examples,
>     doesn't seem well organized, and I found it maddeningly difficult
>     to find out about basic things (how do you write a `while' loop?)
>     a few years back when I was learning bash.

> Would you like to work on improving it?  It won't magically change by
> itself.

A fair response (even if a little bit hackneyed).  I'd like to work on
it, but that would mean doing less on other things (like Emacs and CC
Mode), so I'll just leave it.

I wasn't disparaging this manual out of personal frustration or hate or
anything like that - I merely wanted anybody contemplating the task (of
doing eshell.texi) not to take over the form of bashref.texi
uncritically.

--
Alan.