Re: Function: window-fringes

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Function: window-fringes
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 15:27:20 -0400

    You can set it with set-window-fringes, directly through the variables
    left-fringe-width or right-fringe-width and probably with
    modify-frame-parameters (or specifying frame parameters).

Judging from reading the code, I don't think that the values of
left-fringe-width and right-fringe-width have any effect on the value
of WINDOW_LEFT_FRINGE_WIDTH, on a tty frame.  I don't think that
trying to specify the frame parameter has any effect on the frame
fringe width, on a tty frame.  Have you actually observed that either
of these actions has such an effect?

It looks like set-window-fringes really can set the frame width
slots.  I think that is the bug.  So let's change it not to set them
on a tty.

With the following change, does any of this problem persist?

*** window.c    18 Jul 2006 09:41:15 -0400      1.553
--- window.c    16 Aug 2006 12:47:34 -0400
*** 6657,6662 ****
--- 6657,6666 ----
    if (!NILP (right_width))
      CHECK_NATNUM (right_width);

+   /* Do nothing on a tty.  */
+   if (! FRAME_WINDOW_P (f))
+     return Qnil;
+
    if (!EQ (w->left_fringe_width, left_width)