Out-of-date completions for `read-buffer'

From: Stuart D. Herring
Subject: Out-of-date completions for `read-buffer'
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 13:55:32 -0700 (PDT)

Fread_buffer directly uses Vbuffer_alist in its call to Fcompleting_read.
This breaks if, while the minibuffer is active, the user switches buffers
around.  The cons which was the head of the list when Fread_buffer was
called will in general no longer be at the head, and so part of the list
will vanish for completion purposes.  (Of course, it's slightly worse when
REQUIRE-MATCH is set.)  Similar problems result from creating or killing
buffers during the call.  I also have a vague suspicion that this
procedure exposes the alist to modification by user code, but I can't
think of how at the moment.

Copying the alist for the call to Fcompleting_read (which is trivial to
implement) would solve the reordering problems but not the ones involving
creation/destruction; the real solution is to write a `complete-buffer'
completion function that would re-consult the buffer list each time
completion was needed.

WDOT?  Is this worth fixing, and if so in which way?

Davis

shipping.